Google has a new tool called Ngram Viewer. It has led to a new field called “culturomics” - the study of culture using vast amounts of data. Here is how these buzzwords came about. For a jobless guy like me, it is fun to key in different words and see their trends. Some interesting ngrams were:
- India,China,Brazil - Why is India dipping in the last three decades?
- Some management jargon - Oh those MBAs!
- I saw a list of 100 Words Every High School Graduate Should Know. I looked at the graph of a couple of words that I did not know. (There were some words whose meanings I was not sure of but I probably would have guessed them if I had a few alternatives like in Reader's Digest. But I had no idea about these two words.)
- I saw a post about the best movie quotes of all time and looked at the trends of some of the movies (not the quotes because I am not sure how to handle the punctuations).
- Some poets
- Some fictional detectives
- Distinguishing real science from fads
- Apparently this is the Best Google n-gram yet.
- The Science Hall of Fame
But the graphs should be taken with a pinch of salt.